Round Rock High School Orchestra Audition Information 2021-22 Dear Students, There is a place in the Round Rock Orchestra for everyone! Here is a short description of the five Orchestras at Round Rock.
1. The Beginning Orchestra – This is class for students with no string instruction or for students who have not played their instrument in several years OR for students wishing to learn an additional instrument or switch instruments. No audition is necessary for this class.
2. The Concert Orchestra – About 60-70% of all incoming 9th graders begin their Round Rock Orchestra career in the Concert Orchestra. This group also includes 10th – 12th graders. No audition is necessary to become a member of this Orchestra.
3. The Camerata Orchestra - This ensemble is for the advancing, intermediate students. This orchestra is by audition only.
4. The Philharmonic Orchestra - This ensemble is more advanced. Knowledge of positions is necessary for this ensemble. There are extra rehearsals/sectionals for this ensemble throughout the year. Entry into this Orchestra is by audition only. Audition requirements are listed below.
5. The Symphony Orchestra – This is the most advanced Orchestra at Round Rock. It is mostly 11th and 12th graders. You must be at a very high level to be in this orchestra. This orchestra has extra rehearsals and sectionals every week. Entry into this Orchestra is by audition only. Audition requirements are listed below.
Audition Date: April 16, 2021. If you are passed this date, please email a director.
Due to school closures, we will hold auditions through Flipgrid. You will submit a video on April 16, 2021. If you are unable to do so, we will hold an alternative audition for you on a later date. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to audition, but cannot submit a video at this time.
2. Please use your @student.roundrockisd email account to sign into Flipgrid. If you don't have access to a RRISD student email, please contact Sandra_Vandertulip@roundrockisd.org or Erin_Keith@roundrockisd.org for the password to audition as a "guest."
3. Check out the full audition requirements below and upload your video by Friday, April 16th, 2021.
Audition Instructions: If you have not been assigned to an orchestra, please contact us at email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Audition Information There are three parts to the audition:
1. Two (or three) Octave Major Scales in these keys: C, G, D, A, E, F, B Flat, E Flat and A Flat. The first three (C, G, D) for Camerata and Philharmonic and all of those listed for Symphony auditions. These scales can be found in “Essentials for Strings” by Gerald Anderson. Play eighth notes, separate bows. Tempo is quarter note = 70. Do NOT slur.(see attachments below). Three octave scales should be performed for all students wanting into Symphony (except for string bass; two octave is sufficient - three octave bass scales are permissible however). Scale proficiency is highly important for placement in upper orchestras. 2. A prepared solo or orchestra excerpt (part of an orchestra piece) of your choice - approximately one minute in length. Please choose a piece that shows your technical ability. Students auditioning for the Symphony or Philharmonic Orchestra should choose a piece that demonstrates their skill in playing in 3rd position and/or above, beautiful vibrato and advanced bowing skills.
3. An eight-measure etude. See attachment below for your instrument. Harpists - your etude is also attached below.
Harpists should consult their private teacher and contact Mrs. Vandertulip for further information for harp auditions.
The scales below are just a reference and only two octaves. Two and three octave scales of your choice are acceptable.